USGS Spectroscopy Lab
Petrified Forest National Park
studies of Petrified Forest National Parks include mapping of:
- Surficial mineralogy,
- Vegetation studies.
The current study and status:
- AVIRIS data acquired May 21, 1995
- AVIRIS data have been calibrated to surface reflectance (Jan 1996).
- Initial Tricorder
mapping has been completed (Jan, 1996),
- Initial field checking complete (spring 1998).
- Additional field checking to be done (2000).
- Initial map registration currently complete, but will be redone with
airplane corrections included (see Arches pages).
- Preliminary maps delivered to Park Service (April 1997) for comment.
- Revised Tricorder
mapping and final products TBD.
- ER-2 high altitude IR photography acquired, and digital scanning (3.7-meter/pixel spatial
resolution) for all AVIRIS flight lines still to be done. Full
resolution images will be ~45 MBytes each. (See examples under our Arches N.P. page.)
- Publication expected TBD (depending on staffing availability).
Project/Task Leader: Roger N. Clark
- Roger N. Clark (Initial surficial mineralogy lead)
- Raymond F. Kokaly (Vegetation studies lead)
- Gregg A. Swayze
- Eric Livo
- Ken Watson (Mid-Infrared, TIMS, study lead)
- Larry Rowan
Links to the National Park Service:
National Park Service: Visit the Parks Home Page
Petrified Forest National Park Homepage
Phone, email and regular mail addresses of
spectroscopy lab personnel for further information.
U.S. Geological Survey,
a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Interior
This page URL= http://speclab.cr.usgs.gov/national.parks/Petrified.Forest/petrified.forest.html
This page is maintained by: Dr. Roger N. Clark email@example.com
Last modified January 8, 2000.