USGS Spectroscopy Lab
Joshua Tree National Park
studies of Joshua Tree National Parks include mapping of:
- Surficial mineralogy,
- Vegetation studies,
- Research on specific ecosystems, including
the desert tortoise habitat.
Photo by Roger N. Clark. Click on image for larger, 90K jpeg image.
The current study and status:
- AVIRIS data acquired May 9, 1995
- The eastern half of Joshua Tree National Park
- AVIRIS data have been calibrated to surface reflectance (Mar 1996).
- Initial Tricorder
mapping has been completed (Mar, 1996),
- Initial field checking complete (spring 1996).
- Initial map registration (Jan. 1997).
- Preliminary maps delivered to Park Service (April 1997) for comment.
- Field verification partialy complete, some faults verified and papers being written (see papers, below).
- Low altitude AVIRIS data acquired in fall 1998. Data analysis underway (winter
- Revised Tricorder
mapping and final products expected summer 2000.
- ER-2 high altitude IR photography acquired, and digital scanning (3.7-meter/pixel spatial
resolution) for all AVIRIS flight lines still to be done. Full
resolution images will be ~45 MBytes each. (See examples under our Arches N.P. page.)
- Publication expected summer 2000.
Project/Task Leader: Roger N. Clark
- Roger N. Clark (Initial surficial mineralogy lead)
- Raymond F. Kokaly (Vegetation studies lead)
- Eric Livo (Desert Tortoise, and detailed geology lead)
- Ken Watson (Mid-Infrared, TIMS, study lead)
- Larry Rowan
- Gregg A. Swayze
- Discovery of Faults and Determination of Relative Fault Offsets
With Imaging Spectroscopy in Joshua Tree National Park,
by R. N. Clark, K. E. Livo, and R. F. Kokaly.
in USGS Review (to be submitted to Science).
Links to the National Park Service:
National Park Service: Visit the Parks Home Page
Joshua Tree NM Homepage
Phone, email and regular mail addresses of
spectroscopy lab personnel for further information.
U.S. Geological Survey,
a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Interior
This page URL= http://speclab.cr.usgs.gov/national.parks/Joshua.Tree/joshua.tree.html
This page is maintained by: Dr. Roger N. Clark firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified January 8, 2000.