USGS Spectroscopy Lab
Arches and Canyonlands National Parks
studies of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks include mapping of:
- Surficial mineralogy,
- Vegetation communities/species,
- Cryptobiotic soils,
- Research on vegetation health,
- Research on specific ecosystems and
- Search for abandoned mine lands and assessment of mine drainage on National Park lands.
The image at left is Delicate Arch in Arches national Park.
by Roger N. Clark
The current study and status:
(the processing time has stretched out because higher priority tasks has
diverted our efforts--please be patient for project completion.)
- AVIRIS data acquired June 19, 1995
- All of Arches National Park
- Canyonlands: One line north of Upheaval Dome
south through Virginia Park
- AVIRIS data have been calibrated to surface reflectance (Dec 1996).
- Initial Tricorder
mapping has been completed (Dec 1996), and is undergoing field
- Preliminary maps delivered to Park Service (April 1997) for comment.
- Registered mineral maps delivered to Park Service (Fall 1997) for comment.
- Field checking will continue in the winter/spring of 2000.
- Revised Tricorder
mapping and final products expected summer, 2000.
- ER-2 high altitude IR photography acquired, and digital scanning completed (3.7-meter/pixel
spatial resolution) for all AVIRIS flight lines (December, 1999) and are
Full resolution images will be ~45 MBytes each.
Example view of Devil's Garden (611 kb gif)
Full resolution view of Landscape Arch (203 kb gif)
Example over Upheaval Dome in canyonlands (about 1/3 of full resolution - 303 kb gif)
Full resolution Upheaval Dome area, 3 MByte gif, black and white.
- Publication expected to go into review summer 2000.
Project/Task Leader: Roger N. Clark
- Roger N. Clark (Initial surficial mineralogy lead)
- Raymond F. Kokaly (Vegetation and cryptobiotics studies lead)
- Gregg A. Swayze
- Eric Livo
- Arches National Park
- Canyonlands National Park
Links to the National Park Service:
National Park Service: Visit the Parks Home Page
Arches National Park Home Page
Canyonlands NP Home Page
Phone, email and regular mail addresses of
spectroscopy lab personnel for further information.
U.S. Geological Survey,
a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Interior
This page URL= http://speclab.cr.usgs.gov/national.parks/Arches.Canyonlands/arches.canyon.html
This page is maintained by: Dr. Roger N. Clark email@example.com
Last modified January 8, 2000.